4.9.08

Why So Serious?

Y’know, we’re all really fucked up, even if we don’t think of ourselves that way. We all somehow come from a broken home – broken emotionally, broken physically, broken mentally, broken financially. Everyone can fit into one of those categories. I wouldn’t have considered myself to have come from one – in fact, if I’d been asked twenty minutes ago, I’d tell you I came from one of the best homes I’d seen. Only child, single mother, it all works out. It’s a close relationship, I didn’t have to deal with idiots growing up (except myself). Twenty minutes ago I would have said Charlotte came from an in-tact home as well. But now, under this new realization…wow. It’s all pretty messed up. I grew up with a depressed mother, with financial problems, and no dad to speak of. All these factors and more have created the mess that is typing this – I myself am depressed, as I’m eighteen and in need of a first job I’d say that’s financial problems, I have a hard time communicating with guys properly for the first time because I’ve never had any kind of contact with them. (I’d say I got lucky with Papaer and Sir.) As for Charlotte, she and her siblings got along famously (not), especially her and her brother, which in my humble opinion might have something to do with her status. A subconscious revolt against her parents may also be at the heart of it – they are constantly pressuring her to bring home a guy to have lots of sex and babies. I don’t think she’s well-suited to her family dynamic. I know she loves them, and I know they love her, but…It’s almost a mismatch. I’m not saying that any little rift in any familial relationship should automatically be construed as broken, but that once we begin to get more objective, we might see little bits of brokenness.

Next week on SeeSquared, we examine why these epiphanies only happen in the middle of homework.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it always kinda takes me off guard when i take time to look back and see how kind of fucked up my life was... i guess everyone's life is like that too though, huh? my brother probably has a bit to do with my status, sure... i mean, i've been scared shitless of guys most of my life, and have only recently become able to semi-interact with them without being a mumbling idiot. i know how it is with the depressed mom too... quite well. since my brother and i were kids she's been on the edge of suicidal... if not more, but that's the most she's told us; i know there was a point when she wanted to take my brother and i for car ride and get in an "accident"... i think so that we wouldn't be left without a mom, but i'm not positive... it's not exactly a subject i bring up all too much (and hey, if anyone else is actually reading this, this doesn't leave the blog, kthxbye). ...as for my dad, it helps that my mom doesn't pester me like that. hey.. at least i... well no, i did end up messed up. *shrugs* but i'm still here, right? that counts for something. point of this way to long comment is i think we all come from fucked up pasts, and we just need to be there for each other, and i can relate.

Remus said...

*soaks in some more information*

Even when I'm bitchy and moany kid, I'm here. K? Mayn't seem like it, but I am.