26.1.08

Would You Take a Bullet for Anyone?

I'm doing a survey on MySpace, and this question came up. I didn't feel like putting a giant paragraph in the little survey, but needed to answer the question in writing somehow. So here we go. Might be a long and winding road, but bear with me.

Steve's answer really got me thinking. He mentioned he had done in a dream, so I thought back to see if I had done too. Instead I remembered all the other random-ass dreams that involve me somehow getting hurt or killed or other such random shit. I suppose I did, once, in a dream. S/he was supposed to be killed for something s/he did, and I stepped in and took the fall and was going to be killed instead. I woke up before the death was supposed to happen, but not before I said something to the effect of, "Look, if you want me to go quietly, take me now. Just get it over with."

Two things about this entire question bother me.

One is that...I wouldn't do that. I simply wouldn't. I haven't got the balls to do something like this. This is one of those thoughts that make me a terrible person: No matter who it was, I don't think I'd have the guts to go ahead and jump in front of a bullet for anyone, or take the fall, or anything. I value my well-being too much. I wish I could, truly I do. But I just don't think I would.

Another is that I can't help but think of Gaby and Horatio whenever this question comes up. In the original version, Dave tried to shoot Gaby, but as he pointed the gun, Ray's hand shot up and pressed on the end of the barrel, causing Dave's aim to be thrown off to the side slightly. While Ray ended up with a barely-usable hand, Gaby's life was spared when the bullet barely grazed her arm.

Horatio is the kind of person I've always wanted to be. But I'm not.

I guess...The short of it is, as much as I want to answer yes to this question, I don't think I would.

And that thought depresses me to no end.

No comments: