19.9.10

Geology: Earth Resources

Not my favorite class by any stretch of the imagination, but it's definitely growing on me.

Perhaps I should start with why I chose to take this class. To graduate, I require two science courses and an environmental course. I've already taken astronomy, so that counted as one science class (plus lab), and I knew I didn't want to repeat the lab experience, and that biology and chemistry would just be bad life choices grade-wise. So geology was it. My ex-roommate took the geo with lab class, and it didn't sound like a whole lot of fun. I found this Geology: Earth Resources class and said YES! No lab and it counts as environmental? No brainer. Two birds with one stone and all that.

When classes first started, I knew there was something about this course that just put me off. I didn't know what it was, but I always hated when one o'clock would roll around because that meant it was geo time. Yay. About a week ago, though, I realized what the issue was: The professor is maybe only ten years our senior, and she still looks like a college student. If you'd pointed her out to me around campus last year, I'd have said she was a student. The class always felt like it was being led by a fellow student giving a presentation.

I might have just got used to her style or something, because now I can honestly say I'm not filled with dread as the afternoon begins anymore. Not sure what clicked, but something did. And now that I'm not suffering through this hour (nearly) every day, I can begin to actually appreciate what the course is about - the resources the Earth has to offer, and what we can do to make the most of those resources.

Next up: French class...whenever I get around to actually writing it up.

平和
Remus

No comments: